Community answers are sorted based on votes. The higher the vote, the further up an answer is.
S. Michael Houdmann
Supporter
Logic is the science of deriving truth through the analysis of facts either directly (deductively) or indirectly (inductively). Logic takes given presuppositions, analyzes relationships, compares t...
Login or Sign Up to view the rest of this answer.
Ted Beaton
Supporter
The Apostle Paul often used logic when he was refuting someone proclaiming an incorrect gospel. He often argued in the Greek style. He would state what "they" were saying and then refute it with logic. We are told to "test" all that we hear. I believe this means that when we hear a pastor or anyone else expounding on or preaching their beliefs about God we are to use God's Word combined with logic to decide whether they speak truthfully or not as opposed to using our "feelings". There are many people who use feelings to decide if something is "of God" or the Holy Spirit but this can be extremely misleading. All should be tested by our minds and the application of God's Word, looking for consistency.
Olusegun Engr. AFOLABI
Supporter
LOGIC AS AN ELEMENT OF CHRISTIAN LIFE; logical application to life perspectives means reasons and to act with reasonable knowledge and understanding. Which comparatively to christian virtues could suggest wisdom, knowledge and understanding. Isaiah 11:2, "The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him, the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of might, the Spirit of the knowledge and fear of the LORD". Logic, originally meaning "the word" or "what is spoken" (or, "thought" or "reason"), is generally held to consist of the systematic study of the form of arguments. A valid argument is one where there is a specific relation of logical support between the assumptions of the argument and its conclusion. 1John 1:1; "That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched, this we proclaim concerning the Word of life". Wisdom is the ability to think and act using knowledge, experience, understanding, and insight/common sense. Wisdom has been regarded as one of four cardinal virtues; and as a virtue, it is a habit or disposition to perform the action with the highest degree of adequacy under any given circumstance with the limitation or minimal error in any given situation. This implies a possession of knowledge, or the seeking of knowledge to apply to the given circumstance, such as to enable a satisfactory outcome. Psalm 37:30, "The mouths of the righteous utter wisdom, and their tongues speak what is just". Colossians 2:2-3, " My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
Jay Saunders
Supporter
We all use logic all the time but knowledge is power. And logical actions are governed by knowledge. Lack of knowledge negates wisdom, so ignorance can not produce much logic. Am I talking in circles? The beginning of all wisdom is the fear of the Lord. Now that I walk with the Lord do I fear him? No' of course not. The Lord has become my friend but a friend must not ever be taken advantage of or the friendship my be terminated, resolved, repaired or even broken off. But I must fear him, the judge of all mankind that would destroy me before I have the wisdom and the product of logic produced to repent and get saved. I can not use much logic in certain areas of my life because I haven't the knowledge, therefore no logic to make a wise choice. For instance, my physician is who gives me my ability to make a logical, knowledgeable and wise choice concerning my physical health choices. But without asking questions I am blind to the facts to deduct or deduce logically to agree to my treatment. Usually we take the shortest route to a decision by trusting the trained physician's advice. That's logical. Logic says his knowledge and wisdom is my logical conclusion. Now faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not yet seen. So is faith logical? Of course not; it is trusting in a power that I can not see. It actually puts logic on hold for a situation that is replaced by faith. I logically believe that if gas, oil and my battery are charged my car will start and take me where I want to go. When my physician does't have a cure for my ailment, I am not without hope because faith in my God as healer is my first and last resort. After all he is the first and the last and our all in all. The book of Revelation proclaims it. Yes,' I depend on him whether the physician has a cue or not. If there is no cure, I am not without hope. If God chooses not to heal me, I am still not without hope. Logic dictates or produces hope in my faith. Faith replaces a logical response of doubt or unbelief. I'm I talking in circles again? No way! Because I know, he has provided a way for me to the place where hope is expedited and faith reigns supreme, called heaven. I do not love this life or this world. I love lots of people. I love lots of beautiful things in this life. But I long for a life that has no disease, death, poverty, addictions, crime, locks, lies, pain, divorce, abortion, murder, child abuse, rape and sorrow. I focus on the the good down here but when I am forced with a confrontation of evil down here it reminds me of the hope and security of a better life eternal to come, where all evil will be arrested. It is obvious that mankind will never accomplish these goals. History testifies to these facts, that an unregenerated mankind loves evil more than good because his ways are continually evil. He gauges evil or good by his own standard, not God's. He does not lead by example. He follows the example of the ways of the majority and the majority are continually practicing evil. Mankind's eyes are blinded to the fact that to practice any sin continually is damnable. Their worldly wisdom, knowledge and yes, logic, says God is not real and does not even exists. My own moral compass guides me logically through life and if I do enough good. I am good as anyone else. Hey' I am better than most. I give to the beggars at the traffic lights and the freeway ramps. Right! No wrong! God's wisdom, knowledge, and yes, faith uses logic, but at times voids all logic. Faith replaces logic where needed, but without faith it is impossible to please our God. So when there is a absence of faith, logic dictates, but it can only dictate at the level of knowledge and wisdom one has acquired. Confused? I hope not? Faith is always a bit of a mystery. Because God is always a bit of a mystery and faith is part of his realm in the earth. Selah!
Jeffrey Johnson
Supporter
How should a Christian view logic? God views logic and reason as reflections of His own unchanging, truthful, and orderly character. Christian theology teaches that the laws of logic (like non-contradiction and identity) are not arbitrary human inventions. Instead, they are grounded in the rational, consistent mind of God, who cannot lie or contradict Himself (Numbers 23:19; Titus 1:2) However, Scripture warns that human logic and worldly philosophies, when isolated from God, can become prideful or "foolish." (1 Corinthians 1:20) A Christian can regard logic as a gift that illuminates truth rather than replaces faith. At its core, logic is the disciplined use of reason to evaluate ideas, identify contradictions, and pursue coherence. Within a Christian worldview, this pursuit aligns naturally with the belief that God is a God of order, purpose, and intelligibility. Creation's structure reflects patterns, causes, and relationships that can be examined rationally. When Christians use logic, they are engaging with a world that bears the imprint of divine rationality. Logic also serves as a safeguard. It helps believers distinguish sound teaching from error, test interpretations of Scripture, and avoid conclusions that conflict with the Bible's broader witness. The apostolic writings frequently encourage discernment, urging Christians to weigh teachings carefully and to hold fast to what is true. Logical thinking supports this discernment by giving tools to evaluate claims and arguments clearly. At the same time, logic is not the ultimate authority. Christian faith acknowledges truths that surpass human comprehension, and some mysteries cannot be fully resolved through rational analysis alone. Logic functions properly when it operates in harmony with humility, recognising its limits. It can clarify what is revealed, but it cannot generate revelation. It can expose flawed reasoning, but it cannot replace trust in God. A balanced Christian view sees logic as a servant, not a master. It strengthens theological reflection, enriches moral reasoning, and supports meaningful dialogue with the world. It encourages believers to think carefully, speak responsibly, and engage thoughtfully with differing perspectives. When used rightly, logic becomes a means of loving God with the mind, contributing to a faith that is both sincere and intellectually grounded. Summary of the topic A Christian can view logic as a useful tool for understanding truth and strengthening discernment. It clarifies ideas, tests teachings, and supports thoughtful engagement with Scripture and the world. Logic fits within the belief that God created an ordered reality, yet it remains secondary to faith and revelation. It offers clarity without replacing trust in what God reveals.
All answers are REVIEWED and MODERATED.
Please ensure your answer MEETS all our guidelines.
A good answer provides new insight and perspective. Here are guidelines to help facilitate a meaningful learning experience for everyone.