0

How relevant is the Old Testament today?



      

Genesis 1:1 - 31

ESV - 1 In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

Clarify • Share • Report • Asked May 23 2020 • Stringio Teresa Wiltz Supporter

For follow-up discussion and general commentary on the topic. Comments are sorted chronologically.

Data Danny Hickman

This is asking, 'how revelant is the Old Testament portion of the Scriptures.' It's a question about the Bible.

There are two covenants between God and His people; the old covenant and the new one. The word 'covenant' is a church word that means 'agreement.' God instituted an agreement with His people that was in effect for around 1500 years. It did its job. It was an agreement contingent on the people's obedience of the law.

The law was (is) our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith (Galatians 3:24).

"Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah - not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the HAND (don't miss that) to lead them out of the land of Egypt..." says the Lord (Jeremiah 31:31, 32).

But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD. (here it is) : I will put My law in their MINDS, and write it on their HEARTS; and I will be their God, and they will be My people (Jeremiah 31:33).

Is the old agreement relevant today? There is no new agreement without the old one. But I don't think the question is about the covenants; I think it's about the Book, the Bible.

We can't get the full meaning of God's message to us (today) if we discard parts of His message to us from yesterday.

'Relevant' ~ does it have "meaningful purpose" today? ALL SCRIPTURES DO!!

4 hours ago • Report

Login or Sign Up to add your comment.