1

Why do Catholics confess to a priest instead of praying to God through Jesus?

Why do people of the Catholic religion confess their sins to a priest instead of praying to our Advocate Jesus Christ?

Clarify • Share • Report • Asked February 21 2016 • Mini Anonymous

For follow-up discussion and general commentary on the topic. Comments are sorted chronologically.

Mini Don Fleming

They confess their sins to a priest because they take James 5 v 15 out of context due to the modern versions of the Bible.

James 5:16 >>
Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

The AV talks about us confessing our faults to one another, but the word fault in the modern translations has been changed to sins, this makes a huge difference.

There is only one mediator between God and men, the man CHRIST Jesus

No one can forgive our sins but God

February 22 2016 • Report

1491660 657470600971369 1693310558 n Julia Hobert

While I don't have concrete proof that this is true, what I have always been taught was that this was a way to control the people back in the beginning. If the church knew your secrets they can control you. Again, I don't know whether this is true.

February 22 2016 • Report

Mini James Zuniga

I was born into catholic faith attended a class run by nuns. As I grew up I couldn't understand why I had to confess my sins to a priest. I have nothing against the Catholics, but I needed to know more. I went to a Pentecostal church and learned more, and now I confess my sins to the LORD and feel great knowing that Jesus died for my sins because he loves me. I have many friends who are Catholics and I love them and respect their choice. Amen

October 28 2016 • Report

Mini Mary Prich

Catholics pray in solitude with God, the virgin Mary, all the anointed saints, their ancestors, and Jesus but also value the opportunity to physically speak with a religious figure, like a priest, who is educated in the minutia of the written word in order to gain clarity on difficult situations that we find ourselves in throughout life. We are part of a community of christians who value the ordained time called confession to reflect on our sins and find ways to live our lives in a more just way with an outside perspective... because when you pray in solitude, no-one speaks back.

July 14 2017 • Report

Login or Sign Up to add your comment.